2005 Incidents

BSARU 2005 Incidents

total hours and numbers of incidents by type
Incident Type No Incidents Total Man Hours
Call Out 13 817
Event Incident 2 12
Stand By 4 0
Totals 19 829

BSARU Incidents 2005

list of incidents and man hours per incident"
Incident Type Date Incident Man Hours
CALL OUT 17/10/2005

Five Team members are called to assist a local vet after a dog falls 100ft into a ravine. A rescue is launched involving a diver and raft from the Underwater Search Team. The dog went on to make a full recovery, despite internal injuries sustained in the fall.

6 hours
CALL OUT 12/10/2005

Following reports of a person in the (flooded) River Tweed at Melrose, Border SAR mount a search of the river downstream. Borders Underwater Search Team and Tweed Valley MRT are also involved. The search was stood down at 11pm with nothing found, and following no-one being reported missing.

90 hours
CALL OUT 12/10/2005

Border SAR assist Police and Underwater Team following severe flooding in the Borders. A motorist stranded by floodwater is rescued by the landrover, despite the water rising over the bonnet for much of the journey.

24 hours
CALL OUT 23/08/2005

A 74 year-old man is reported missing from a group of hillwalkers on the St Cuthbert's Way near St Boswells. An emergency response is initiated by BorderSAR, with assistance from Tweed Valley MRT and an RAF helicopter en-route. Thankfully, the man turned up safe and well around 4 hours after the alarm was raised.

33 hours
CALL OUT 21/08/2005

BorderSAR and Tweed Valley MRT called to an urgent search for a missing child in the Livingston area. The search develops next day into a major operation involving six MRT's, SARDA search dogs,Navy & Police Helicopters, dive teams and 150 civilian volunteers from the community. Tragically, the search ended three days after it began with the discovery of a body by a search dog. The body was later confirmed as missing Rory Blackhall.

Full media coverage from the BBC is available by clicking here

292 hours
CALL OUT 25/07/2005

Woman reported missing in early hours of the morning from a flat in Coldstream, possibly suicidal, having fled from her home. Following police checks, team were called at 0400 and asked to mount a search around Coldstream and Carham area. Team were assisted by Borders Underwater Search Team, and India 99 - Northumberland Police helicopter. Woman eventually located at noon, safe and well.

A Newspaper report is available here.

91 hours
STAND BY 22/07/2005

Elderly person with dementia reported missing from Gullane, East Lothian. Team was already engaged with rideout, but nevertheless stood by. Tweed Valley MRT provided immediate response in our absence and mounted search in Gullane area. Following further information that the man was seen on a bus, search was abandoned. Man was eventually located in Surrey!!

0 hours
STAND BY 15/07/2005

Two rafts were found floating in the river Tweed following one of the hottest days of the year. Police and Underwater Search Team assessed situation and decided that no further action was required.

0 hours
CALL OUT 13/07/2005

Team alerted to a missing person, possibly taken a drug overdose, at Dalkieth. Border SAR and SARDA immediately responded. Casualty was found by a police officer in Dalkieth Country Park.

18 hours

Another 'rideout' casualty - team alerted while providing safety cover to a 45 year old man with head injuries, following a fall from a horse that had bolted. The man developed a life-threatening 'tension-pneumothorax' - a chest injury - and the team were joined by a local G.P. in a frantic attempt to stabilise his condition while waiting on an emergency ambulance to arrive. Thankfully our attempts were successful, and the casualty went on to make a full recovery.

N.B. By twist of fate, both paramedics who arrived at the scene were our very own team paramedics!!

4 hours

Team alerted to a rider with head injuries while covering a local 'rideout' - the man had fallen from a horse and hit a metal fence post, the force splitting his helmet! He was rushed by emergency ambulance to Borders General Hospital where he made a full recovery and was discharged 3 days later.

A second casualty was also assisted at the same event, having broken his collarbone in a fall from a horse.

8 hours
CALL OUT 25/06/2005

Lost Hillwalker contacted 999 requesting MR assistance. Although equiped with a GPS his map had become unusable as he had been out in poor conditions overnight. The man was located using his GPS grid reference and treated for hypothermia before being taken to Kelso Hospital.

32 hours
CALL OUT 02/05/2005

Missing Person, possibly suicidal, from Pease Bay caravan park. Located safe and well by police in Grantshouse.

24 hours
CALL OUT 16/04/2005

Two walkers became trapped by ferocious blizzards on the Auchope area of the pennine way. MRT alerted by mobile call at 2.45am, and immediate rescue operation was launched. Both casualties were located around 7.30am and treated for hypothermia. Weather was amongst worst ever experienced in April!

Read the Southern Repoter's article here (web)

120 hours
CALL OUT 03/04/2005

Running Call: team alerted by ambulance control to a mountain biker in distress near to an event we were providing safety cover for. Casualty quickly located and given first aid for facial injuries, before being sent to hospital.

3 hours
STAND BY 20/02/2005

Team placed on standby to assist Tweed Valley after a woman went missing near Gala Water. Woman was located safe and well. No action required by team

0 hours
CALL OUT 13/02/2005

Two team members assist Lochaber MRT with a search on an avalanche-prone Ben Nevis. 1 person missing for over 24 hours. Search later abandoned due to avalanche danger
13/5/05 - the misper's remains were found as the snow retreated.

12 hours
CALL OUT 26/01/2005

Team alerted to a missing person in the Kelso area. Concern that misper had been seen near River Tweed, in an agitated state. Person was found safe and well by Police.

72 hours
STAND BY 07/01/2005

Team placed on standby as rivers in the region burst their banks. Stood down after four hours.

0 hours

Our Supporters

St Johns Ambulance Logo Scottish Mountain Rescue Amazon Smile

Contact Us

Write To: BSARU Secretary, Langskail, Broadgait, Gullane, EH31 2DH